History, 1838–1856, volume C-1 [2 November 1838–31 July 1842]

  • Source Note
  • Historical Introduction
Page 1068
image
<​July <​August​> 1​> who extend their bounteous aid to this , and devote their best means, in love and affection, “to take pity on her stones, and show mercy to her dust” To the illustratious and excellent Rabbies, to their worthy and distinguished Assessors, to the noble chiefs and faithful leaders of Israel, to all congregations devoted to the Lord, and to every member thereof— health, life and prosperity. May the Lord vouchsafe his protection unto them. May they rejoice and be exceeding glad: and with their own eyes may they behold when the Lord restoreth Zion. Such be his gracious will. Amen.
It is a fact well known throughout Judah and Israel, that the glory altogether departed from the daughter of Zion, “since upwards of one hundred years ago, the congregation of German Jews in this were forcibly deprived of their homes and inheritance. Dreadful and grievous was the yoke under which the despots of this land oppressed them. Tyranny and cruel usage ground them to the dust, and forced them to forsake their habitations, to abandon their houses and all their property, and to seek safety in flight. Thus the large Court they inherited from their Ancestors remained deserted, and uninhabited, until it was seized upon and possessed by aliens. The sacred edifices it contained, namely the Synagogue and Medrash, were by them, demolished, the whole of the property utterly ruined, and possessions, lawfully ours, devastated before our eyes. Then did our souls refuse all consolation! for how could we bear to witness the evil which befell our people! As the light gleams forth from a spark, so did our congregation take heart and return, again to form their establishments, and to take root on the Holy Mount. But we could find no rest for our wearied feet— no place consecrated and appointed for prayer and instruction. Our aching eyes beheld how every nation and tongue, even from the most distant isles of the ocean, is here possessed of structures, defended by walls, gates and portcullis, whilst the people of the Lord, forcibly ex[HC 4:173]pelled from their inheritance by rapacious barbarians, were covered with obloquy, scorn, and disgrace. The cries of the people ascended unto the Lord, who dwelleth in Zion. He looked down, and in pity, beheld their sufferings and oppression. And ever since the ruler of Egypt first assumed the government of the Holy Land— a ruler who maintains justice throughout his dominions— an edict was issued, permitting Jews to do whatsoever they deemed right and expedient, with respect to the rebuilding of their demolished Synagogues and Colleges. Us, likewise, the Lord, in his mercy vouchsafed to remember, and caused us to be reinstated into the heritage of our fathers, even to the aforementioned Court, which is called the Ruin of R. Jehudah the pious (of blessed memory.) Blessed be the Lord our God, the God of our Fathers, who inspired the heart of the ruler of Egypt, to restore unto us the possessions of our ancestors: nor did we delay or lose time in the matter, but exerted ourselves to rebuild . “We fenced it, and gathered up the Stones thereof,” and the sacred undertaking prospered in our hands, so that we have completed the Medrash, “and great is the glory of the house;” and also houses for the teachers of the law, and for the hospitable reception and entertainment of strangers which were indispensibly necessary to accommodate the many pious Israelites who visit the during the festivals. And on — — — Rosh Hodesh Shebath last we joyfully [p. 1068]
August 1 who extend their bounteous aid to this , and devote their best means, in love and affection, “to take pity on her stones, and show mercy to her dust” To the illustratious and excellent Rabbies, to their worthy and distinguished Assessors, to the noble chiefs and faithful leaders of Israel, to all congregations devoted to the Lord, and to every member thereof— health, life and prosperity. May the Lord vouchsafe his protection unto them. May they rejoice and be exceeding glad: and with their own eyes may they behold when the Lord restoreth Zion. Such be his gracious will. Amen.
It is a fact well known throughout Judah and Israel, that the glory altogether departed from the daughter of Zion, “since upwards of one hundred years ago, the congregation of German Jews in this were forcibly deprived of their homes and inheritance. Dreadful and grievous was the yoke under which the despots of this land oppressed them. Tyranny and cruel usage ground them to the dust, and forced them to forsake their habitations, to abandon their houses and all their property, and to seek safety in flight. Thus the large Court they inherited from their Ancestors remained deserted, and uninhabited, until it was seized upon and possessed by aliens. The sacred edifices it contained, namely the Synagogue and Medrash, were by them, demolished, the whole of the property utterly ruined, and possessions, lawfully ours, devastated before our eyes. Then did our souls refuse all consolation! for how could we bear to witness the evil which befell our people! As the light gleams forth from a spark, so did our congregation take heart and return, again to form their establishments, and to take root on the Holy Mount. But we could find no rest for our wearied feet— no place consecrated and appointed for prayer and instruction. Our aching eyes beheld how every nation and tongue, even from the most distant isles of the ocean, is here possessed of structures, defended by walls, gates and portcullis, whilst the people of the Lord, forcibly ex[HC 4:173]pelled from their inheritance by rapacious barbarians, were covered with obloquy, scorn, and disgrace. The cries of the people ascended unto the Lord, who dwelleth in Zion. He looked down, and in pity, beheld their sufferings and oppression. And ever since the ruler of Egypt first assumed the government of the Holy Land— a ruler who maintains justice throughout his dominions— an edict was issued, permitting Jews to do whatsoever they deemed right and expedient, with respect to the rebuilding of their demolished Synagogues and Colleges. Us, likewise, the Lord, in his mercy vouchsafed to remember, and caused us to be reinstated into the heritage of our fathers, even to the aforementioned Court, which is called the Ruin of R. Jehudah the pious (of blessed memory.) Blessed be the Lord our God, the God of our Fathers, who inspired the heart of the ruler of Egypt, to restore unto us the possessions of our ancestors: nor did we delay or lose time in the matter, but exerted ourselves to rebuild . “We fenced it, and gathered up the Stones thereof,” and the sacred undertaking prospered in our hands, so that we have completed the Medrash, “and great is the glory of the house;” and also houses for the teachers of the law, and for the hospitable reception and entertainment of strangers which were indispensibly necessary to accommodate the many pious Israelites who visit the during the festivals. And on — — — Rosh Hodesh Shebath last we joyfully [p. 1068]
Page 1068