History, 1838–1856, volume C-1 [2 November 1838–31 July 1842]

  • Source Note
  • Historical Introduction
Page 1186
image
<April 6> The fourth (N. E. Corner) stone superintended by the Bishops was then lowered to its place, and pronounced the following, “The fourth and last corner Stone, expressive of the Lesser Priesthood, is now duly laid; and may the blessings before pronounced, with all others desirable, rest upon the same for ever; Amen—[”] The services were then declared closed, and the military retired to the parade ground and were dismissed with the approbation and thanks of the commanding officers— The military band under the command of Captain [Edward] Duzette, made a conspicuous and dignified appearance, and performed their part honorably. Their soul stirring strains, met harmoniously the rising emotions that swelled each bosom, and stimulated us onward to the arduous, but pleasing and honorable duties of the day. The choir also, under the direction of B[enjamin] S. Wilber, deserve commendation. What added greatly to the happiness we experienced on this interesting occasion, is the fact, that we heard no obscene or profane language; neither saw we any one intoxicated. Can the same be said of a similar assemblage in any other city in the Union? Thank God, that the intoxicating beverage, that bane of humanity in these last days, — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — is becoming a stranger in . In conclusion we will say, we never witnessed a more imposing spectacle than was presented on this occasion, and during the session of conference. Such an almost countless multitude of people, moving in harmony, in friendship, in dignity, told with a voice not easily misunderstood, that they were a people of intelligence, and virtue, and order; in short that they were Saints; and that the God of love, purity, and light was their God, their exemplar, and director; and that they were blessed and happy.”
<If the strict order of the Priesthood, were carried out in the building of Temples. The first stone will be laid at the South East Corner by the First Presidency of the Church; the South West Corner should be laid next, the Third or N.W. Corner next, and the fourth or N.E. corner the last. The first presidency should lay the S.E. Corner stone, and dictate who are the proper persons to lay the other Corner Stones. If a Temple is built at a distance, and the First Presidency are not present, then the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles are the persons to dictate the order for that Temple; and in the absence of the Twelve Apostles, then the Presidency of the Stake, will lay the South East Corner Stone; the Melchisedeck Priesthood laying the Corner Stones at the East side of the Temple; and the Lesser Priesthood, those on the West side.>
A Conference was held at , President presiding. . Many branches were represented, and the branch at was organized by electing , President, and Edson Whipple and William Wharton his Counsellors. Jacob Syphret was elected Bishop, and Jesse Prince and <James> Nicholson his Counsellors—
The Council of the Twelve, assembled at Manchester in Carpenters Hall, on the 6th. day of April 1841, for the first time to transact business as a quorum, in the presence of the Church in a Foreign Land; being the first day of the 12th. year of the rise of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. nine of the quorum were present, viz. , , , , , , , and . having called the house to order, and organized the conference, then opened by prayer— Elder Thomas Ward was — — chosen clerk. The president then made some introductory remarks relative to the organization of the Church in the house of the Lord in , in reference to the different quorums, in their respective orders and authorities in the Church. The representation of the churches and conferences throughout the kingdom was then called for. [p. 1186]
April 6 The fourth (N. E. Corner) stone superintended by the Bishops was then lowered to its place, and pronounced the following, “The fourth and last corner Stone, expressive of the Lesser Priesthood, is now duly laid; and may the blessings before pronounced, with all others desirable, rest upon the same for ever; Amen—” The services were then declared closed, and the military retired to the parade ground and were dismissed with the approbation and thanks of the commanding officers— The military band under the command of Captain Edward Duzette, made a conspicuous and dignified appearance, and performed their part honorably. Their soul stirring strains, met harmoniously the rising emotions that swelled each bosom, and stimulated us onward to the arduous, but pleasing and honorable duties of the day. The choir also, under the direction of Benjamin S. Wilber, deserve commendation. What added greatly to the happiness we experienced on this interesting occasion, is the fact, that we heard no obscene or profane language; neither saw we any one intoxicated. Can the same be said of a similar assemblage in any other city in the Union? Thank God, that the intoxicating beverage, that bane of humanity in these last days, — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — is becoming a stranger in . In conclusion we will say, we never witnessed a more imposing spectacle than was presented on this occasion, and during the session of conference. Such an almost countless multitude of people, moving in harmony, in friendship, in dignity, told with a voice not easily misunderstood, that they were a people of intelligence, and virtue, and order; in short that they were Saints; and that the God of love, purity, and light was their God, their exemplar, and director; and that they were blessed and happy.”
If the strict order of the Priesthood, were carried out in the building of Temples. The first stone will be laid at the South East Corner by the First Presidency of the Church; the South West Corner should be laid next, the Third or N.W. Corner next, and the fourth or N.E. corner the last. The first presidency should lay the S.E. Corner stone, and dictate who are the proper persons to lay the other Corner Stones. If a Temple is built at a distance, and the First Presidency are not present, then the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles are the persons to dictate the order for that Temple; and in the absence of the Twelve Apostles, then the Presidency of the Stake, will lay the South East Corner Stone; the Melchisedeck Priesthood laying the Corner Stones at the East side of the Temple; and the Lesser Priesthood, those on the West side.
A Conference was held at , President presiding. . Many branches were represented, and the branch at was organized by electing , President, and Edson Whipple and William Wharton his Counsellors. Jacob Syphret was elected Bishop, and Jesse Prince and James Nicholson his Counsellors—
The Council of the Twelve, assembled at Manchester in Carpenters Hall, on the 6th. day of April 1841, for the first time to transact business as a quorum, in the presence of the Church in a Foreign Land; being the first day of the 12th. year of the rise of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. nine of the quorum were present, viz. , , , , , , , and . having called the house to order, and organized the conference, then opened by prayer— Elder Thomas Ward was — — chosen clerk. The president then made some introductory remarks relative to the organization of the Church in the house of the Lord in , in reference to the different quorums, in their respective orders and authorities in the Church. The representation of the churches and conferences throughout the kingdom was then called for. [p. 1186]
Page 1186