Elders’ Journal of the Church of Latter Day Saints, , Geauga Co., OH, Nov. 1837. For more complete source information, see the source note for Elders’ Journal, Oct. 1837.
In November 1837, the second issue of the church’s new periodical, Elders’ Journal of the Church of Latter Day Saints, was published in , Ohio. The paper was first published in October 1837 as an instrument for the of the to “communicate to others, all things pertaining to their mission, and calling as servants of the living God, and messengers of righteousness to the nations among whom they are sent.” As editor of the Elders’ Journal, JS was ultimately responsible for its content, including editorial selections in the November issue that introduced conference minutes, prefaced a letter from in , articulated an editorial philosophy, and implored subscribers to remit payment for their subscriptions. Though JS authored an account of his trip to and an attending list of questions, the extent of his involvement in writing the other editorial pieces is unclear. Given that he did not return to Kirtland from , Missouri, until 10 December 1837, the November issue was likely not published until after that date.
Note that only the editorial content created specifically for this issue of the Elders’ Journal is annotated here. Articles reprinted from other papers, letters, conference minutes, and notices, are reproduced here but not annotated. Items that are stand-alone JS documents, such as JS’s travel account, are annotated elsewhere.
Vilate Murray Kimball, Kirtland, OH, to Heber C. Kimball, Preston, England, 19–24 Jan. 1838, Heber C. Kimball, Collection, CHL; Thomas B. Marsh to Wilford Woodruff, in Elders’ Journal,July 1838, 36–38.
Kimball, Heber C. Collection, 1837–1898. CHL. MS 12476.
A call was then made for those whose circumstances were such as to permit, to go out to preach, to present themselves. There were twenty three who arose.
Sylvester H. Earl, , and John W. Clark, were ordained elders, and William J. Levans was ordained a priest.
then closed the meeting by prayer.
The two branches of the church of Latter Day Saints in Madison, Geauga Co. O. met agreeably to appoi[n]tment on the 12th Inst. and after being called to order by President , Allen Wait was appointed Clerk. The conference proceeded & organized the two branches into one. Br. was then ordained presiding Elder over said church. Br. Asahael M. Hodge was ordained a Priest, Morgan Phelps and Albert Peas Teachers, brother Allen Wait Deacon and Clerk, all by unanimous vote of the church.
Allen Wait Clerk.
At a fast meeting held in Rochester, Columbiana Co. Ohio, on the 28th of Oct. 1837, the official members present organized themselves into a conference for the purpose of ordaining some present to the ministry; accordingly Elder was called to the chair, and Elder was chosen Secretary. Mr. and Mr. John Cooper were then presented and were ordained to the office of Elders. The business being concluded conference adjourned, sine die.
A Conference will be held at the center of of Milton, Trumbull Co. Ohio, at the house of Mr. Milton Rogers, commencing on Friday the 5th of Jannary: Public preaching will be expected on Saturday and Sunday.
Our beloved brother , residing near that place, gives the elders the following invitation: “We should like very well to have a visit from some of our brethren if convenient—if those brethren who were calculating to travel in a Southeast direction, have not all left , this will be in their track and we should like to have them give us a call.”
Another editorial note appealed to subscribers of both the defunct Messenger and Advocate and the Elders’ Journal to send in their subscription money. In late 1837, the faced a difficult financial situation, including debts resulting from the construction of the and the church’s various publishing endeavors.
The subscribers for the Messenger and Advocate, are propably aware, that much of their subscription is yet in the rear; the office being changed into the hands of others, and the debts of the same pressing hard upon the former proprietors: it therefore becomes necessary to urge mildly the patrons of this office, to send up their subscriptions as soon as possible. and this will relieve those debts, and help forward the Journal in its season. It is also necessary that those who wish to continue on with the Journal, for them to forward their money, in order that their names may be entered on the Journal book. The books of the Evening and Morning Star, and Messenger and Advocate are in the hands of and , consequently those indebted for the same, (Star and Messenger,) will please send their subscription to them.
JS and Sidney Rigdon purchased the printing office from Oliver Cowdery on 1 February 1837. The paper was transferred to William Marks in April 1837, with JS and Rigdon acting as Marks’s agents. (“Notice,” LDS Messenger and Advocate, Feb. 1837, 3:458–459; Masthead, LDS Messenger and Advocate, Apr. 1837, 3:496.)
Latter Day Saints’ Messenger and Advocate. Kirtland, OH. Oct. 1834–Sept. 1837.