History, 1838–1856, volume E-1 [1 July 1843–30 April 1844]

  • Source Note
  • Historical Introduction
Page 1810
<​December 21​> of his birth, was not a stable, like his Redeemer’s of old, but a small house belonging to Mr. Isaac Allred.
At the age of two weeks he was removed into a new house, without a floor, door, window, or chimney. This being soon demolished by the rage of persecution, he removed nine miles, to the town of , being then six weeks old.
Here he lived in a house nine feet square, built of logs; but even here, the rage of his enemies soon searched him out, and when he was three months old, his was torn from him <​and confined in a Dungeon leaving him​> and his , who lay sick of a fever, exposed to the wrath of a band of savage murderers, who at that time over-ran and ravaged the whole town; they fired several rifle balls into the house, and scores of them were afterwards picked up in the door yard.
Soon after this, he came with his and spent much of the winter in prison with his , where he sometimes served as a shield, to guard his bosom from the threatened violence of the angry guards.
At the age of nine months, the exterminating order of the modern Nero, (,) was so far enforced as to banish him and his mother from the at the point of the Bayonet: leaving his still in prison.
They fled to , Illinois, a distance of two hundred miles; where they lived till the following July, without the assistance of a husband or father.
On the grand national Anniversary of American independence, the glorious 4th. of July his being instructed and warned, by an Angel of the Lord, in a vision of the night, burst his chains, threw open his prison doors, and emerged forth from his prison: and after wandering for near a week, night and day, almost without food, he avoided all pursuit and arrived at the residence of his family; thus closes the first twelve months of the events connected with the life of Nathan Pratt.
The second campaign opens with a removal from to , a distance of 50 miles, where he and his parents took up their residence, in a small log cabin, consisting of one room, already occupied by another family.
After a stay of about one month, he started on a Mission to , in company with his and . The first part of this journey was performed in about four weeks by land distance 600 miles. This brought them to , from thence they journeyed by water to , about 800 miles distant. Here he took up winter quarters, and thus closed the second year of our young hero.
The third opens with a journey to the State of and a return to ; making twelve hundred miles travel. In September following he sailed with his parents for . After a long and tedious passage they landed safe in ; he resided in , and visited most of the principal towns.
In October 1842, he sailed for , where he arrived in safety, [p. 1810]
December 21
[p. 1810]
Page 1810