No image available

Introduction to F. G. Williams & Co.

In September 1833, members of the established a printing firm in , Ohio, under the name of . This new firm assumed the responsibilities previously held by in , Missouri, including printing the newspaper The Evening and the Morning Star, which had been interrupted by the destruction of the Missouri . When the United Firm was reorganized in April 1834, and received the printing firm as their and continued to oversee church printing efforts. In September 1834, F. G. Williams & Co. discontinued printing The Evening and the Morning Star and the following month began a new paper called Latter Day Saints’ Messenger and Advocate. In January 1835, the firm began reprinting all issues of The Evening and the Morning Star, with numerous editorial changes, under the shortened name Evening and Morning Star. In 1835 and 1836, the firm published the first edition of the Doctrine and Covenants and a collection of hymns. By fall 1835, the firm was experiencing serious financial difficulties. It was dissolved in June 1836, after which Oliver Cowdery purchased the printing establishment, assumed the firm’s assets and liabilities, and reorganized it as O. Cowdery & Co. Over the next year, the changed ownership twice. Then in early 1838, its assets were seized and sold at public auction and the office was destroyed by fire shortly thereafter.
The firm of F. G. Williams & Co. has few surviving business records. The most significant of these is an account book that tracked receipts and expenditures from October 1833 to November 1835.
In September 1833, members of the established a printing firm in , Ohio, under the name of . This new firm assumed the responsibilities previously held by in , Missouri, including printing the newspaper The Evening and the Morning Star, which had been interrupted by the destruction of the Missouri . When the United Firm was reorganized in April 1834, and received the printing firm as their and continued to oversee church printing efforts. In September 1834, F. G. Williams & Co. discontinued printing The Evening and the Morning Star and the following month began a new paper called Latter Day Saints’ Messenger and Advocate. In January 1835, the firm began reprinting all issues of The Evening and the Morning Star, with numerous editorial changes, under the shortened name Evening and Morning Star. In 1835 and 1836, the firm published the first edition of the Doctrine and Covenants and a collection of hymns. By fall 1835, the firm was experiencing serious financial difficulties. It was dissolved in June 1836, after which Oliver Cowdery purchased the printing establishment, assumed the firm’s assets and liabilities, and reorganized it as O. Cowdery & Co. Over the next year, the changed ownership twice. Then in early 1838, its assets were seized and sold at public auction and the office was destroyed by fire shortly thereafter.
The firm of F. G. Williams & Co. has few surviving business records. The most significant of these is an account book that tracked receipts and expenditures from October 1833 to November 1835.