No image available

Introduction to Spencer v. Cahoon et al.

Spencer v. Cahoon, Carter, H. Smith, JS, Rigdon, and W. Smith
Kirtland Township, Geauga Co., Ohio, Justice of the Peace Court, circa 25 January 1838
 
Historical Introduction
On 6 June 1833, at a conference of high priests, JS appointed , , and as a committee “to take the oversight of the building of the ” in , Ohio. To fulfill their responsibilities, the three formed a mercantile firm under the name Cahoon, Carter & Co. sometime before October 1835. The firm supported the construction of the by purchasing goods, either on credit or from donated funds obtained by the Quorum of the Twelve and others, and then making those goods available in exchange for labor or payment. On 9 November 1835, the firm borrowed fifty dollars from William W. Spencer, payable when called for. Spencer sued for payment on 25 January 1838. In addition to , , and , Spencer included JS, , and in the lawsuit, probably because he assumed JS and were connected to the firm. After hearing testimony, Justice of the Peace determined that JS, , and were not partners of the firm Cahoon, Carter, & Co. and discharged them from liability in the suit. He then rendered judgment against the firm for $56.41, along with $2.76 in court costs.
 
Calendar of Documents
9 November 1835 William W. Spencer by Cyrus Smalling, Receipt, Kirtland Township, Geauga Co., OH, to Cahoon, Carter, & Co.
9 Nov. 1835. Not extant.
Ca. 25 Jan. 1838; in Docket Entry, Cowdery, Docket Book, 349; handwriting of Warren A. Cowdery.
 
Spencer v. Cahoon et al., Justice of the Peace Court
 
On or before 25 January 1838 Attorney for William W. Spencer, Oath, Kirtland Township, Geauga Co., OH
On or before 25 Jan. 1838. Not extant.
 
25 January 1838 Writ of Capias ad Respondendum, to Luke Johnson, Kirtland Township, Geauga Co., OH
25 Jan. 1838. Not extant.
 
25 January 1838 Subpoena, for Harpin Riggs, Kirtland Township, Geauga Co., OH
25 Jan. 1838. Not extant.
 
Ca. 25 January 1838 Docket Entry, Kirtland Township, Geauga Co., OH
Ca. 25 Jan. 1838; Cowdery, Docket Book, 349; handwriting of Warren A. Cowdery.
Spencer v. Cahoon, Carter, H. Smith, JS, Rigdon, and W. Smith
Kirtland Township, Geauga Co., Ohio, Justice of the Peace Court, circa 25 January 1838
 
Historical Introduction
On 6 June 1833, at a conference of high priests, JS appointed , , and as a committee “to take the oversight of the building of the ” in , Ohio. To fulfill their responsibilities, the three formed a mercantile firm under the name Cahoon, Carter & Co. sometime before October 1835. The firm supported the construction of the by purchasing goods, either on credit or from donated funds obtained by the Quorum of the Twelve and others, and then making those goods available in exchange for labor or payment. On 9 November 1835, the firm borrowed fifty dollars from William W. Spencer, payable when called for. Spencer sued for payment on 25 January 1838. In addition to , , and , Spencer included JS, , and in the lawsuit, probably because he assumed JS and were connected to the firm. After hearing testimony, Justice of the Peace determined that JS, , and were not partners of the firm Cahoon, Carter, & Co. and discharged them from liability in the suit. He then rendered judgment against the firm for $56.41, along with $2.76 in court costs.
 
Calendar of Documents
9 November 1835 William W. Spencer by Cyrus Smalling, Receipt, Kirtland Township, Geauga Co., OH, to Cahoon, Carter, & Co.
9 Nov. 1835. Not extant.
Ca. 25 Jan. 1838; in Docket Entry, Cowdery, Docket Book, 349; handwriting of Warren A. Cowdery.
 
Spencer v. Cahoon et al., Justice of the Peace Court
 
On or before 25 January 1838 Attorney for William W. Spencer, Oath, Kirtland Township, Geauga Co., OH
On or before 25 Jan. 1838. Not extant.
 
25 January 1838 Writ of Capias ad Respondendum, to Luke Johnson, Kirtland Township, Geauga Co., OH
25 Jan. 1838. Not extant.
 
25 January 1838 Subpoena, for Harpin Riggs, Kirtland Township, Geauga Co., OH
25 Jan. 1838. Not extant.
 
Ca. 25 January 1838 Docket Entry, Kirtland Township, Geauga Co., OH
Ca. 25 Jan. 1838; Cowdery, Docket Book, 349; handwriting of Warren A. Cowdery.