Minutes, , Geauga Co., OH, 2 Apr. 1833. Featured version copied [between 4 and ca. 6 June 1833] in Minute Book 1, p. 19; handwriting of ; CHL. For more complete source information, see the source note for Minute Book 1.
The meeting described in these minutes was held because of a decision made ten days earlier to purchase the , which was adjacent to lands in , Ohio, owned by and . One of the most attractive features of French’s land was a brickyard, which church leaders anticipated would be key in helping expand the number of church buildings in Kirtland. Although the French farm was not formally purchased until 10 April 1833, at this 2 April meeting the council assigned Williams to oversee the operation of the brickyard and the leasing out of the soon-to-be-acquired farmland.
The at this meeting also directed to purchase on behalf of the church a one-acre parcel of land that contained a tannery, located near the property. Arnold Mason owned the land on which the tannery stood; he had purchased the land from Peter French in October 1832 for one hundred dollars. It is unclear whether Thayer or another agent of the church took immediate steps to acquire Mason’s land. While there is no record of such a transaction between Thayer and Mason, a revelation dated 23 April 1834 spoke of the tannery as a church-owned property; in reorganizing the and distributing the firm’s assets to its individual members, the revelation assigned stewardship of the tannery and the land it was on to . Several days later, on 3 May 1834, Mason formally deeded the land to Rigdon for a purchase price of $450. Even though Mason controlled the title until deeding over the land, the language of the April 1834 revelation suggests that some payments on the land were likely made to Mason between 2 April 1833 and April 1834.
Geauga Co., OH, Deed Records, 1795–1921, vol. 18, pp. 487–488, 3 May 1834, microfilm 20,237, U.S. and Canada Record Collection, FHL. Rigdon had previously worked as a tanner. The increased value of the land suggests significant improvements had been made on the property since Mason initially purchased it from French. (JS History, vol. A-1, 65.)
Mason was still considered the legal owner of the property for tax purposes in 1833 and early 1834. (Geauga Co., OH, Duplicate Tax Records, 1816–1850, Tax Record for 1833, p. 21, microfilm 506,577; Tax Record for 1834, p. 23, microfilm 506,578, U.S. and Canada Record Collection, FHL.)
A of assembled in the school room and appointed Bro— to be an to super[in]tend and employ some person or persons to carry on the brick yard on the and also letting out the farm This councel also directd Broth[er] to purchace the tannery belonging to Arnold Mason in no futhe [further] business the councel closed