Township
Brantford Township
County
Wentworth County (now in Brant County)
Country
Upper Canada (now Canada)

Brantford Township, Upper Canada

Summary

In 1784, area designated by British government for Mohawk Indians to compensate for their losses in American Revolution and their faithfulness to Britain. First known as Brant’s ford. First white settlers arrived, 1805; Mohawks surrendered land to Crown, 1830. Population in 1841 about 5,000. Included town of Brantford; established 1830.

Links