Hamilton’s hotel, Carthage, Illinois
Also referred to as Hamilton house and Hamilton’s tavern. Located on southwest corner of Main and Washington streets, one block south and four blocks east of Carthage jail. Owned and primarily operated by Artois Hamilton, ca. 1836–1853. Illinois governor Thomas Ford, JS, and several others in JS’s party lodged here, night of 24–25 June 1844. JS, Hyrum Smith, and Nauvoo City Council’s hearing on charge of riot before Robert F. Smith on 25 June 1844 was held here. On 27 June, following deaths of JS and Hyrum Smith, Hamilton and others brought JS’s and Hyrum’s bodies from Carthage jail to hotel. John Taylor also stayed at hotel under Hamilton’s care for a few days.