Formed from Willsborough Township, 4 Apr. 1805. Population in 1835 about 1,400. Population in 1840 about 1,500. Included post village of Lewis; settled 1796. Branch of Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints established in township, by 1834. Members of branch sent letter, dated 20 Oct. 1834, along with money and goods to JS and Kirtland, Ohio, high council for purchase of land in Missouri.