Town/City
Nauvoo
County
Hancock County
State/Province
Illinois
Country
United States of America

Nauvoo post office, Nauvoo, Illinois

Summary

First post office located in area known as Venus, near west end of present-day Parley Street, 1830–1834. Name changed to Commerce post office, 11 Oct. 1834. Renamed Nauvoo post office, 21 Apr. 1840, with George W. Robinson appointed postmaster. Robinson operated post office in Lower Stone House and lived there with father-in-law, Sidney Rigdon. Rigdon appointed postmaster, 24 Feb. 1841. Robinson and Rigdon moved to second house, which became new post office, on corner of Main and Sidney streets, before Mar. 1843. JS and others expressed frustration with inappropriate operation of post office, Nov. 1842 and Oct. 1843. Post office later housed briefly in red brick building at corner of Kimball and Main streets, after 1844. Following Saints’ exodus from city, 1846, post office moved to Amos Davis’s store, located on hill just south of temple.

Links