Old house (JS’s)
Two-story, sixteen-by-eighteen-foot log house located near southwest corner of Main and Water streets on eastern shore of Mississippi River. James White constructed house, ca. 1823. JS built single-story addition on north side, ca. 1840, and two-story addition on west side added sometime after that. Residence of JS and family, beginning 10 May 1839 until 31 Aug. 1843, when Smith family moved across street to Nauvoo Mansion. Some anointings administered in home. Structure also used for court sessions, prayer meetings, and priesthood councils, Sept.–Nov. 1843.