Settled 1806. Surveyed 1816. Incorporated as town and post office established, 1818. Incorporated as city, 1840. Population in 1833 about 1,700. Population in 1840 about 2,100. Stopping point on National Road, by 1834. Camp of Israel, including JS, camped in area, 17–18 May 1834, before continuing on to Missouri. JS wrote to Emma from Richmond, 18 May 1834. Branch of Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints organized in city, 1841.