Santa Fe, New Mexico, Mexico
Located in north-central New Mexico on Santa Fe River, about sixty miles northeast of Albuquerque. Area originally inhabited by Pueblo Indians. First occupied by Spaniards, 1583. Mission of San Lorenzo de Tesuque established, early 1600s. Town founded based on mission boundaries, 1609. Made capital of Spanish province Santa Fe de Nuevo México, 1610. Became part of Mexico when Mexico received independence from Spain, 27 Sept. 1821. Became part of U.S. when New Mexico was ceded in Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, 1848. Population in 1850 about 4,800. Council of Fifty discussed possibly sending expeditionary force through or to city, 1844–1845. Mormon Battalion camped in city en route from Fort Leavenworth, unorganized U.S. territory, to San Diego, 9–19 Oct. 1846.
Council of Fifty, Minutes, March 1844–January 1846;
Volume 1, 10 March 1844–1 March 1845
Council of Fifty, Minutes, March 1844–January 1846; Volume 2, 1 March–6 May 1845
Council of Fifty, Minutes, March 1844–January 1846; Volume 3, 6 May 1845–13 January 1846
History, 1838–1856, volume E-1 [1 July 1843–30 April 1844]
Journal, December 1842–June 1844; Book 4, 1 March–22