Revelation, 2 January 1831 [D&C 38]
- Source Note
This revelation, dictated at a church in , New York, came three days after a 30 December 1830 revelation commanded the church to “assemble together at the .” The 2 January 1831 revelation elaborated on the earlier commandment by reiterating the call to gather and promising the members they would be thereafter endowed with “power from on high.”In his later history, wrote that as JS addressed the conference on 2 January and discussed the to move to as a group, those present “desired to know somewhat more concerning this matter.” In response, “the Seer enquired of the Lord in the presence of the whole congregation, and thus came the word of the Lord.” Recalling the conference later, noted that “we were instructed as a people, to begin the gathering of Israel, and a revelation was given to the Prophet on this subject.”Some church members were reticent to leave their homes and relocate to , and a few, according to , even wondered if “Joseph had invented it [the revelation] himself to deceive the people that in the end he might get gain.” Several weeks later, a resident of Waterloo, New York, wrote that “this command was at first resisted by such as had property, (the brethren from the neighboring counties being all assembled by special summons,) but after a night of fasting, prayer and trial, they all consented to obey the holy messenger.” JS’s saw the revelation in a positive light. She wrote to her brother Solomon Mack to explain that after they gathered together, God would “come and reign on ea[r]th with them a thousand years.” She also indicated, “We expect to go away to the Ohio early in the spring.”
Hyde, Orson. Journal, Feb. 1832–Mar. 1833. CHL. MS 1386.
Porter, Larry C. “‘Ye Shall Go to the Ohio’: Exodus of the New York Saints to Ohio, 1831.” In Regional Studies in Latter-day Saint Church History: Ohio, edited by Milton V. Backman Jr., 1–25. Provo, UT: Department of Church History and Doctrine, Brigham Young University, 1990.
Knight, Newel. Autobiography and Journal, ca. 1846. CHL. MS 767.